You’re thinking this is a good blog post to skip aren’t you? I know…Tofu. But, trust me on this one. My awesome cousin-in-law (as in she is married to my cousin) has vegetarian / vegan cooking down to an art form. This is her tofu recipe and I’m sharing it because its so good you’ll be converted to a tofu eater after just a bite.
Citrus Glazed Tofu
1 package of extra firm tofu
cooking oil (i prefer coconut)
Seasonings: Salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, red pepper, and paprika
What you do:
1. Drain the tofu (its got a lot of water in it so do your best) and cut into little cubes.
2. start off on high heat with a little oil in a non-stick pan. Tofu is very sticky and a non-stick pan with oil is the best way to cook it and have it keep its shape and not turn to sticky yuck.
3. Once it starts to brown, season it with a little of each of the seasonings listed. This is totally a preference thing so add as little or as much as you like but taste it to make sure you are happy with your mix.
4. After it is browned off, pour about a 1/3rd of a cup of your favorite citrus fruit juice (lime, pineapple, orange, etc) and remove the pan from the heat. Give it a few minutes to sit and let the juice reduce. The end result is a glaze that coats the tofu and gives it this yummy sweet / spicey flavor.
5. Serve in a million different ways. Its great in tacos or as a topping on a big salad but really you could do just about anything with it.
So what do you think? Will you give it a try?